Brianna White

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 30, 2019
AI Business Model.png

The generative A.I. product war has officially begun.

Business owners have been investigating ways to integrate generative A.I. into their operations since OpenAI publicly released an API for ChatGPT--which connects the large language model (LLM) to other software platforms--in March 2023.

But many have discovered drawbacks to ChatGPT, including a lack of transparency regarding the data it was trained on, how it makes decisions, and a propensity for presenting false information as fact--a phenomenon known as hallucinating. Plus, ChatGPT lacks customization options, and perhaps most important, API users have to pay OpenAI a fee for every query and response processed and generated by its models, with the more advanced models sporting significantly higher prices than the lower-powered offerings. From there, the price is determined by the length of the query and response. That pricing model is fine for casual users but becomes costly at scale.

But now a new model has entered the fray.

Last month, social media titan Meta released Llama 2, its most advanced language model, to the public. Instead of selling an API, Meta announced that it would release the model as "open source." Usually this would mean that Llama 2 is free of charge for commercial use by anyone, and for many it will be, but some have questioned Meta's claim after reading the fine print. The model's community license agreement contains a stipulation that any product or service powered by the tech that reaches 700 million or more monthly users will have to pay a fee to Meta.
Still, Llama 2 presents some clear advantages over OpenAI's suite of language models, including GPT-4, the most advanced OpenAI model currently on the market. Here's how to determine which LLM is right for your business.

Which model is right for me?​

According to Tyler Ashby, president of A.I.-powered contact center firm Agents Only, there are three key factors to take into account when deciding which A.I. model to go with: "timing, budget, and how adventurous you are as a company. If you need a solution quickly, OpenAI has the advantage because it's simple to use and easy to set up."

Continue reading: https://www.inc.com/ben-sherry/how-to-pick-right-ai-model-for-your-business.html