Brianna White

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 30, 2019
As the name indicates, the Internet of Things (IoT) should be an extension of the Internet. However, in reality, most IoT applications are Siloed infrastructures. We will analyze the main challenges in the IoT and explain how an Internet registry could be evolved to provide a secure and privacy integrated Identity and access management service for IoT.
Freedom: Tim Berners-Lee, best known as the inventor of the World Wide Web, mentioned the freedom in the Internet as—“I should be able to pick which applications I use for managing my life, I should be able to pick which content I look at, and I should be able to pick which device I use, which company I use for supplying my Internet, and I’d like those to be independent choices.” The freedom that Tim Berners-Lee expects is possible in the Internet, but not in IoT. Most IoT applications are Walled Gardens, restricting users to specific devices, technologies or applications. The freedom to choose has become more and more a necessity in IoT, and therefore there are efforts in the form of software suites or technologies to provide more choices to the consumers. IoT technologies like LoRaWAN (Long Range Wide Area Network) ensure freedom of choice by providing open specifications to make products available from multiple suppliers.
Interoperability: It is natural to expect interoperability between different applications to access a service in the Internet. For example, one can use any browser such as Chrome, Safari or Firefox to access a website. Similarly, one can send a mail to anyone using any e-mail application. Imagine a scenario where one with a Gmail account can only send mail to users’ with a Gmail account and not to Yahoo or Outlook users. The IoT consumer currently has the hassles of installing and using tens to hundreds of separate apps for accessing different IoT services (e.g., Alexa, Apple, Samsung, Smart lights at home, pet tracker, pacemaker etc.). For example, one cannot control a Philips bulb with Amazon’s Alexa or Apple’s Siri, limiting the interoperability between a product’s service to another, unlike in the Internet.
Continue reading: https://circleid.com/posts/20220413-evolving-from-an-internet-registry-to-iot-registry

Attachments

• p0007644.m07290.circleid.jpg
    p0007644.m07290.circleid.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 12