Brianna White

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 30, 2019
web3 and music.png

The internet as we know it is changing. New web3 tools and platforms are arising that harness blockchain, NFTs and cryptocurrency. And thanks to metaverse technologies, online experiences are fast becoming much more immersive and realistic. In this future internet, web3, and metaverse technologies will transform how we engage with our favorite artists, musicians and sports stars. It'll give us more immersive gaming and entertainment experiences and new ways of consuming art. It will alter creative industries forever.

Music is one creative industry that’s already being disrupted by metaverse and web3 technologies. Here are four major shifts taking place in the world of music.

Virtual performances
Imagine going to a concert with millions of other people. It would be impossible in the real world. Hellish, even. But it’s a breeze in the metaverse, as shown by Ariana Grande’s series of virtual Fortnite shows – which, over the course of several days, attracted an audience of 78 million. Virtual gigs like this, where the artist performs as a digital avatar, are becoming increasingly popular, providing an exciting way for artists to expand their audience. So much so that the MTV Video Music Awards have now introduced a “Best Metaverse Performance” category. Launched at the 2022 VMAs, the first award was won by K-pop band Blackpink.

Interestingly, digital avatars of pop stars are also making an appearance in the physical world. The ABBA show, ABBA Voyage, is a perfect example of this, featuring digital avatars (“ABBAtars”) of the foursome in their 1970s heyday, performing on stage backed by a real-life band and backing singers.

I've been lucky enough to go to the ABBA show, and I was honestly blown away. It feels like you're watching the real ABBA perform on stage. Half-way through the show, my wife leaned over and told me this was going to “blow future concerts out of the water.” Take it from her, then: ABBA Voyage is a milestone moment in entertainment. Imagine where this technology could go in the future: gigs from long-deceased entertainers (either in physical locations or metaverse arenas); collaborations between artists who are on stage in a physical arena alongside hyper-realistic avatars of other artists; being able to watch the Beatles live in concert… It’s an exciting time to be a live music fan.

Continue reading: https://www.forbes.com/sites/bernar...nd-web3-will-transform-music/?sh=547772365799