Brianna White

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 30, 2019
Diane von Furstenberg, inventor of the iconic 1970s wrap dress, has said when describing her early 20s, “I never knew what I wanted to do, but I always knew the kind of woman I wanted to be – a woman in charge.” Recently the icon’s brand — DVF — launched the #InCharge movement, which focuses on women having “a commitment to ourselves.” More specifically, the movement is focused on women “owning who we are” and “respecting and trusting our character, knowing that it is forever the home and the core of our strength.”
In collaboration with Anthology, an ed-tech company, DVF brought together women leaders from across the tech world, including Google Cloud and Accenture for a conversation titled Learner Today, Leader Tomorrow. The conversation focused on how education plays a critical role in empowering women and girls for the future. Ingrid Gonzalez, Sales Director, Google Cloud, discussed how nontraditional students such as first-generation learners or international students, who are forging their own path without the built-in network, must be bold, ask questions and navigate the initiative to surround themselves with the people who will help them achieve their goals. She stressed, “Don’t be afraid to ask for help because that’s when the doors and windows to opportunity will open.”
First generation within the higher education context, typically refers to a student whose parents did not earn a college degree. These students typically lack the social and economic capital and benefits that result from having parents who attended college. A first generation student herself, Richa Batra, Vice President and General Manager of Education Technology at Anthology, explained how the term “first-gen” didn’t exist when she was a student, so “the fact that we have that language today and the ability to understand what those pathways are is really important.” Likewise, Jaclyn Smith, a Business Strategy Manager at Accenture, chimed in on her experience as a first-generation student and how her parents supported her as she pursued her college degree and eventually helped her to open her own business.
Continue reading: https://www.forbes.com/sites/marybethgasman/2022/10/16/women-putting-women-incharge/?sh=1387be506804

Attachments

• p0009304.m08867.960x0_2022_10_17t122648_090.jpg
    p0009304.m08867.960x0_2022_10_17t122648_090.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 17