Brianna White

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 30, 2019
September 1st is International Women in Cyber Day – a global movement dedicated to advancing and retaining women in the cybersecurity industry. To mark the occasion this year, the BlackBerry Blog caught up with two accomplished professionals on our Threat Research and Intelligence Team: Principal Threat Researcher Lysa Myers and Principal Threat Research Publisher Natasha Rohner. Read on to learn about their journey into cyber and insights they’ve gained along the way.
Q: What can you tell us about your journey into cybersecurity?
Lysa Myers: My journey into security wasn’t exactly conventional. I had always pictured myself with a job focusing on plants – one particular taxonomy class was an “Aha!” moment for me, understanding the family relationships between individual plant species. One summer, I took a job as an office assistant at a security company, which had some unexpected downtime, so I volunteered in the virus research group.
Having a lot of customer service experience in my previous career as a florist, I was a natural fit to help with triage for incoming malware samples. As I learned more about malware research, that taxonomy experience came in handy – being able to spot important similarities and differences between individual variants helped me to add detection for malware families.
Natasha Rohner: I also had what you might call a non-traditional journey into cybersecurity. After graduating with a degree in film production, my first job was as a work-for-hire writer for gaming giant Games Workshop, which had just launched a movie-based, fiction publishing wing. They’d acquired the rights to film franchises such as Blade, Final Destination, and the Freddie Krueger movies, which (to my delight, as a huge science-fiction fan) they hired me to turn into novels.
Continue reading: https://blogs.blackberry.com/en/2022/09/women-behind-the-screen-an-interview-with-blackberry-threat-research-pros

Attachments

• p0008893.m08481.iwcd_875x530_hdr_opt5.png
    p0008893.m08481.iwcd_875x530_hdr_opt5.png
    533.1 KB · Views: 5