Robert Snyder

Jul 17, 2021
Thank you for welcoming this male to the AWIT networking event this morning! Kathleen invited me to share a bit more about my work, so doing that here. I hope it's valuable for you, and I welcome any reactions and feedback you have. Skeptics and contrarians help me improve the material! Just disagree with me - don't demonize me. Task conflict, good. Personality conflict, bad. 🙂
My work (upcoming book and preview blogs) proposes what's next for innovation methodology (after Agile winds its course). Jumping to the punchline of this post, I believe my work improves women's position to have a seat at the table, be more valuable to their team, be a competitive and collaborative advantage to their company, reduce being at the mercy of poor leadership/management, and raise your confidence that, with these tools, you can lead ANY change initiative. I'd like to think my material could make imposter syndrome a thing of the past.
Bold words, I know. I'm hoping to keep this post within the improv spirit of "Bring a Brick, Not A Cathedral," so one more set of consideration for you ... your team is an agreement factory (dysfunctional teams are disagreement factories), those agreements cannot merely reside in meetings and email (so you must know exactly what is worth documenting outside email). Manage this agreement factory with five verbs: Draft, Review, Revise, Approve, Distribute. It's *like* a RACI matrix, but with teeth (since assignments, durations, and percent complete endure the whole project). These documents are durable - not disposable. But since the five verbs is SO dry and robotic, look to the performing arts for some pizazz, empathy, forgiveness, and grace. Imagine emulating a symphony, a dance couple, a theater company, or an improv team. Holy collaboration, Batman. 🙂 The combination of uncommon discipline and empathy can be extremely powerful, fun, and profitable. Here is one blog example. Explore as you like, apply as you see fit, and get in touch with questions, concerns, feedback. Thank you!

P.S. The working title of my book is "Innovation Elegance: Transcending Agile With Ruthlessness and Grace." The edits are painstaking work at the moment!