Brianna White

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 30, 2019
A few weeks ago, I went into a cyber meeting and was excited to join the conversation. As soon as I entered the virtual room, I looked around and noticed that I was the only woman. I messaged one of the vice presidents of the company privately and said,” Isn’t it sad that I’m the only woman in the room?” He responded, “Oh, yes. I never noticed these things.”
Fast forward to the morning of November 26: I’m in my living room watching the FIFA match between Poland and Saudi Arabia. I turned to my friend after a shot on the crowd popped up and said to her, “Woo, no women in the crowd for SA,” to which she responded, “Oh, yes, you’re so right. I didn’t even notice.”
I’m sure you can follow the pattern: At that moment, it dawned on me that the problem many of us are trying to address is way bigger than we can imagine, and in those moments, I realized that unless you’re passionate about this issue, like me, you can walk into a room and not even realize the inequities around you.
How can we fix what we can’t even see? How do you fight for equality when you’re invisible? These are the questions that I constantly ask myself.
I wasn’t surprised after reviewing the latest McKinsey “Women in the Workplace” report that showed that even when women desire to advance, the roadblocks they face make it impossible for them to make progress. As a woman in tech, it’s difficult not to be overwhelmed by all the issues I notice and the harsh realization that I can’t fix any of them on my own.
Continue reading: https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbestechcouncil/2023/01/03/stop-blaming-women-for-leaving-tech-look-at-your-work-culture/?sh=1e4f90203d0d

Reactions: Brianna White