K

Kathleen Martin

Dear J.T. & Dale: I’ve been interviewing with a company, and they asked me what salary I would need. Using online sites (Payscale, Indeed, Glassdoor), I’ve been able to identify a range I’m setting as my “walk-away range.” Further, I would want to account for inflation and go above that range by 10%. But, ideally, I would want to increase it by 30%. I’m new to negotiating salary — am I out of my depth here? — Jet
J.T.: The one thing you should remember is the market is going to shift soon. You don’t want to be the most expensive person on payroll for the job. There’s a saying “last in, first out,” which means if I hire you right now for top dollar and the market changes, I’m letting you go first.
DALE: That’s why it’s important to research more than salary. You need to research the industry and the company to see how they’d hold up if we have a bit of a recession.
Continue reading: https://tucson.com/business/jt-dale-talk-jobs-salary-negotiation-how-high-can-i-go/article_05f6385a-1e4b-11ed-99da-cf64dd7d1eac.html

Reactions: Kathleen Martin