Brianna White

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 30, 2019
The injustices of the pandemic have been well-documented. Efforts to address those injustices are less prevalent. Candice Dixon wants to change the stories women, especially women of color, tell.
"I will never again take for granted the power of change, and in this case, often disruptive and difficult change. In 2020, the global pandemic, nationwide racial justice reckoning, and unpredictable economic fluctuations were just a few of the catalyzing events that forever changed how we live and work.
These critical events had a profound impact on me and, after much consideration, I made the decision to quit my job. I knew I wanted to do work that would allow me to support people who look like me. Little did I know that this decision would lead me to a new organization — NPower, a nonprofit advancing racial and gender equity in the tech workforce. There, I launched a new movement that would help to support countless women of color step into good paying tech jobs, adding an estimated $17.2 million back into the local economy.1
My role was established to help evolve a coalition focused on increasing the recruitment, advancement and retention of women of color from non-traditional backgrounds* in tech jobs. First, we wanted to ground our strategies in research; our initial findings showed that women of color faced the most joblessness during the pandemic, and many still aren’t returning to work as fast as other populations. And further, as the tech industry continuously faces hiring freezes and layoffs, the underrepresentation of women of color continues to spotlight the glaring lack of diversity overall in the tech sector.
It was clear that a series of seismic shifts were needed to help address this issue in a way that would drive tangible meaningful change. Our insights gave birth to our new coalition — Command Shift, Accelerating More Women of Color in Tech.
Continue reading: https://www.bizjournals.com/bizwomen/news/latest-news/2022/08/in-her-own-words-candice-dixon.html?page=all

Attachments

• p0008641.m08238.ihow_080922_800xx1200_675_0_107.png
    p0008641.m08238.ihow_080922_800xx1200_675_0_107.png
    136.9 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: Brianna White