Brianna White

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 30, 2019
Embrace your inner nerd.
Befriend the uncomfortable.
That was just some of the advice a panel of speakers gave to a roomful of Grand Canyon University students on Saturday for the academic year's first Coding with My Girls, presented by the Society of Women Engineers (SWE), the Technology Club and Women in Cybersecurity (WiCys).
Niya Patterson, Women in Tech Committee Lead for the Technology Club, and Adrianna Ruby, Project Engineer for the Society of Women Engineers, with help from K-12 STEM Outreach, hosted panelists from a variety of technology companies that sponsored the event.
Coding with My Girls also included a coding session using Arduino controllers to make light-show lanterns.
Technology Associate Dean Dr. Pam Rowland welcomed GCU students, and Megan Fitzgerald, Public Safety/Cybersecurity/Military Advisor to Arizona Gov. Doug Ducey, introduced the panelists — all female leaders in the cybersecurity and technology industries.
The panelists spoke about the importance of mentorship, maintaining confidence and more. They included Stacy Wallace, Chief Information Security Officer of the Arizona Department of Revenue; Marnie Wilking, Global Head of Security & IT Risk Management, Wayfair; Seema Seewell, Maricopa County Deputy CISO; Tina Shakour, AWS Security Success Manager and the U.S. Department of State’s Techwomen Program delegate; and Ngan Pham, Arizona Department of Homeland Security Enterprise Security Advisory Council Program Manager.
Continue reading: https://news.gcu.edu/campus-life/coding-with-my-girls-forges-new-connections/

Attachments

• p0009117.m08692.coding_with_my_girls.jpg
    p0009117.m08692.coding_with_my_girls.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: Brianna White