Brianna White

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 30, 2019
Getting ahead in a male-dominated field as a person with a marginalized gender is no easy task. Consider the tech industry, for example. According to the Society of Women Engineers, only 13% of engineers are women and 26% of computer scientists are women. And even then only 12% of women in computing roles are Black or Latinx.
But that doesn’t mean women and other marginalized genders can’t find success in roles that are popular in tech, such as engineering. Take Amanda Gellhouse, Kate Dameron, and Tracy Burge—three members of the engineering team at Hinge Health, a digital health company for treating back and joint pain and one of the top 10 unicorns in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Here, they offer advice on how they’ve navigated their careers as female engineers—from the importance of having mentors to finding the confidence to speak up and make their voices heard.
1. Cultivate a Support System
While it would be great if our credentials could always speak for themselves, it’s helpful to have someone who can advocate for you as well. That’s where mentors come into play. Don’t have one yet? Not to worry. You may know someone already you can turn to for professional (and personal) advice.
Senior engineering manager Amanda Gellhouse suggests taking stock of your existing network, including current and former colleagues and managers. “All of my mentors appeared around me, and I recognized them as people who could provide valuable input,” she says. “Connect with people, and start learning from them.”
Continue reading: https://todayuknews.com/entrepreneurs/7-career-tips-for-succeeding-as-a-woman-in-tech/

Attachments

• p0004327.m04000.06282021_1302754067.jpg
    p0004327.m04000.06282021_1302754067.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 19
Reactions: Kathleen Martin