K

Kathleen Martin

When an employee feels they need or want more than what they’re receiving at work, they must address the issue with management and negotiate for a favorable outcome. However, many employees feel awkward negotiating with their boss for anything.
One should never remain quietly dissatisfied at work when it comes to asking for a well-deserved salary increase, promotion or more flexible schedule. Here, 15 members of Forbes Coaches Council share some mental tricks and specific types of language that employees can use to feel more comfortable and confident in negotiations with their direct support.
1. Model Honest Dialogue And Transparency
Courage, dialogue and transparency are keys to happiness anywhere in life, but the inherent power dynamics within organizations can stifle them. As a leader, I am far more interested in having conversations about these very things—how do we as a team enable courage, dialogue and transparency?—rather than trying to solve the areas for negotiations in isolation. Start by modeling honest dialogue. - Nick Bolton, Animas Centre for Coaching
2. Have A Clear Shared Intention And Trust
Successful negotiations are rooted in having a clear shared intention and trust. Consider what your boss values at work (their measure of your success) and prepare to communicate evidence of how you contribute to that intention through your skills, experiences, work ethic and so forth. By reflecting on your accomplishments and competencies, you will radiate more confidence and trust. - Vered Kogan, Momentum Institute
3. Use Affirmative Language With Yourself
The reason an employee, or anyone for that matter, feels awkward when negotiating for anything is because, internally, they don’t feel as if they deserve what it is they want. Reframing the language one uses about oneself is therefore key. Affirming yourself by saying, “I deserve this (whatever this may be), and I am worthy of it” is a surefire way to mentally prepare for that negotiation. - Dr. Rakish Rana, The Clear Coach
Continue reading: https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbescoachescouncil/2022/05/04/15-ways-to-feel-more-comfortable-negotiating-with-your-boss/?sh=4fa43da66005

Attachments

• p0007875.m07517.forbes_salary.png
    p0007875.m07517.forbes_salary.png
    334.2 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: Kathleen Martin