K

Kathleen Martin

A woman who took to social media app TikTok to share the good news of her new high-paying tech job says she was fired for her pay transparency, raising important questions for Australian workplaces mulling over the same.
Lexi Larson posted the video last month where she explained she’d received a US$20,000 ($28,700) raise, attracting a US$449 ($645) boost in taxes paid.
“How much my paychecks increased when I went from [US] $70k to $90k per year,” Larson captioned the video, with hashtags #paycheckbreakdown #salarytransparency and #pay transparency.
Her video received relatively modest views and engagement on the app by TikTok standards, with 3302 likes and 148 comments left.
Larson, who is from Denver, Colorado, posted another TikTok video shortly afterwards where she said “So, TikTok got me fired”.
“A couple weeks ago I started sharing about how I got a job in the tech industry … Um, well, I don’t work at that job anymore because they fired me,” Larson said.
She continues that she was reluctant to reveal too much more about the dismissal as she had to sign a “bunch” of documents, but she explained her workplace “really, really did not like” that she was sharing her salary.
“They said me having this account was a security concern because I could post something private about the company,” she explained.
Continue reading: https://www.smartcompany.com.au/marketing/social-media/tiktok-woman-fired-job-salary/

Attachments

• p0008578.m08181.tik_tok_salary.png
    p0008578.m08181.tik_tok_salary.png
    156.9 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: Kathleen Martin