25 Crucial Information Technology Statistics & Facts to Know
Most of our business and personal lives are rooted in our access to technology. From personal access to the web, alongside business platforms, third-party providers and apps, technology drives much of what we do on a daily basis—and there is only growth on the horizon. Here are some crucial statistics and technology facts you need to know.
How Fast Is Technology Growing Statistics
Technology is most certainly continuing to grow at a steady rate, making information technology one of the fastest growing sectors in the world.
- Workforce growth rates are expected to double those of other industries, with some categories reaching 4-5 times the current rate by 2030.
- Projections show the technology industry is set to exceed $5.3 trillion in 2022.
- The U.S. tech industry is expected to have a CAGR of 5% through 2024.
- Cloud computing is expected to grow at CAGR of 17.5% by 2025.
General Technology Statistics
Far from the siloed department of old, technology now rules the roost in the business world. Here are some general technology statistics.
- Zippia reports that the tech industry makes up 35% of the total world market.
- 90% of the world’s data was generated between 2019 and the present.
- There are more than 585,000 tech companies in the US.
- The Big Four (Amazon, Apple, Google and Facebook) are collectively worth $4 trillion.
- 84% of businesses say that cybersecurity and resilience is a top priority for 2022.
The world wide web has certainly changed the world and internet users spend a good amount of time perusing, browsing, buying, engaging, and communicating on the web.
- There are more than 5.1 billion active users on the internet, with Asia comprising more than 50% of total internet traffic.
- 4.28 billion users access the web via mobile internet.
- There are 4.2 billion active users on social media platforms.
- More than 90% of Americans have internet access, with 77% reporting broadband access at home.
Businesses need to communicate, but with widespread access to the web, companies are relying less on phones and more on digital forms of communication.
- The VoIP market is forecast to reach $145 billion by 2024, according to Statista.
- Android OS is expected to dominate the mobile VoIP market by the year 2024.
- 90% of IT leaders planned to phase out on-premise phone systems in 2021.
- A forecast of $48.3 billion by 2023 is set for the unified communications market.